"Come back to the Lord your God. He is kind and full of mercy;
He is patient and keeps His promise;
He is always ready to forgive and not punish."
Joel 2:13
Today is Ash Wednesday. This is the little packet of ashes I collected last year on this day. It helps me with priorities in my life because when I look at it, hold it and contemplate it, it reminds me that from ashes I came and to ashes I will return.
The original meaning of Lent was 'holy spring'. Traditionally at this time of year, Christians prepared themselves for Easter by asking God to show them their failures and by repenting of their wrong doings. People new to Christianity were made ready for their baptism which would also take place at Easter. So Lent is a time of preparation: a spiritual spring-cleaning; a challenge to combat evil in our lives. And Lent is a time to turn back to God.
Ash Wednesday challenges us to ponder the reality we most dread to consider: our own death. The journey of the disciple of Christ begins with the task of seriously reflecting on one's own death, embracing it so that one can truly embrace life. This black smudge in the shape of a cross on our forehead reminds us, each and everyone, that we WILL die. This is a certainty we share with each other. Knowledge of this destiny draws us together at the beginning of Lent.
May this season of Lent be one of contemplation and preparation for a closer walk with your Lord. This is one of my favorite songs. It isn't very popular and this is the best video I could find of it, so here it is. I love the lyrics as I feel they are so true.
Words and Music by John Fischer
(Written during my summer as the first music director at Ponderosa Lodge, the new high school camp at Mount Hermon Christian Conference Center.)
Have you seen Jesus my Lord
He's here in plain view
Take a look open your eyes
He'll show it to you
Have you ever look at the sunset
With the sky mellowing red
And the clouds suspended like feathers
Then I say you've seen Jesus my Lord
Have you seen Jesus my Lord
He's here in plain view
Take a look open your eyes
He'll show it to you
Have you ever stood at the ocean
With the white foam at your feet
Felt the endless thundering motion
Then I say you've seen Jesus my Lord
Have you seen Jesus my Lord
He's here in plain view
Take a look open your eyes
He'll show it to you
Have you ever looked at the cross
With a man hanging in pain
And the look of love in his eyes
Then I say you've seen Jesus my Lord
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(I can't let today go by without noting that today is my Mother's birthday. She would have been 84 years old.)

No comments:
Post a Comment