Aug 2, 2009

Doors



I have always identified with the symbol of doors and rooms in relation to my life. I posted once a long time ago about my life being represented by a castle and the different rooms being different stages in my life. The blog has long since been deleted and I am sorry I don't have a copy of it now as I would have liked to elaborate on it some more. But I have decided to start a project on Doors. I have brainstormed some words and thoughts today and ways to express these in the future. Poetry writing got left behind quite awhile back, so this is one form of creative expression for the theme. Scrapbooking was something relegated to genealogy research, but a scrapbook with visuals along with journaling sounds challenging, creative and fun. And since I have not been inspired to blog, this will serve as a place to just organize my thoughts and to be another creative expression.

As I sat out on the deck this morning brainstorming ideas and words, I came up with these as a start:

Appearance ~ they can be dark, light, transparent, large, tall, small, hidden or be a gate or prison door

Feel ~ they can be rough, splintered, smooth, warm or cool

Sounds ~ squeaky, groaning, silent, or sounds from the other side

Feeling ~ they can arouse apprehension, anticipation, excitement, hope, curiosity, fright or be inviting

Handles ~ can be easily turned, take several turns to open or be hard to turn at all

Locks ~ may require a key, be rusty, used, unused, large, small or hidden

Peepholes ~ allow a glimpse of possibilities

Openings ~ they may swing open readily, slowly, need a push, a shove or stick halfway

Threshold ~ see a vista ahead, a corridor, a corner, stairs, be hazy, misty, bright, dim or only see a few feet ahead

Path ~ can be paved, smooth, rocky, hilly, lighted, go down a valley, up a mountain, be an inward or outward path

The ways to view a door symbolically seem endless. Maybe because what lies beyond the door can be limitless experiences or opportunities. But then there are the doors that are open that need to be closed and those we have already closed to the world. And perhaps someone will take the time to find another way to open a door that we didn't even know was there or couldn't open for ourselves.

No comments: