Aug 24, 2008

Persistence & Determination

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "Press on!" has solved and always will solve the problems.
~~~Calvin Coolidge

I write these words hoping it will instill some persistence and determination within me. The settling of an estate seems like a never-ending task at this point for me. I look back on the last two weeks and can't believe I have experienced so much grief, made so many decisions, and been so busy that there have only been 3 times that I found myself expressing my sadness; when I first heard the news, on the phone to a friend & at the funeral. I realized this this morning sitting in church listening to a hymn that I had heard my father sing many times. The tears could not be stopped from seeping slowly from the corners of my eyes as I realized I will never hear that vibrant off-key singing again.


I have several more weeks of appointments, disposing of all the worldly goods of my parents and suffering through this horrendous heat in this so called "great state of Texas" before I can go home, but I am thankful for the help of some family members, which helps me persist when my determination seems sorely lacking.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Trust me, you're doing a lot better than other people in your situation might. Just hang in there.

And suffering? Hah! I've been in that house and it is FREEZING! lol


Keep your chin up. You're a lot stronger than you give yourself credit for.